- Clothing must cover the entire body, only the hands and face may remain visible.
- The material must not be so thin that one can see through it.
- The clothing must hang loose so that the shape/form of the body is not apparent.
- The female clothing must not resemble the men's clothing.
- The design of the clothing must not resemble the clothing of the non believing women.
- The design must not consist of bold designs which attract attention.
- Clothing should not be worn for the sole purpose of gaining reputation or increasing one's status in society.
The reason for this strictness is so that the woman is protected from the lustful gaze of men. Islam protects the woman and it is for this reason that Allah gave these laws. Allah has stated in the Quran that women must guard their modesty. "Say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what must ordinarily appear thereof (Quran:24.31)." "Say to the believing man that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that will make for greater purity for them, and God is well acquainted with all they do (Quran:24.30)." Considering the fact that Allah has given us guidance through the Quran, He also given us the logic and common sense to apply these in our everyday life.http://islam.about.com/od/dress/p/clothing_reqs.htm